Music and Reviews from Clare, Limerick, Waterford and sometimes further afield

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Theme Days


Displaying photo.JPG

Most of my posts feature reports on performances by others. I love performing myself  and rarely a week goes by that I don't get called on to play a few tunes somewhere.  Theme days throw up a welcome opportunity to choose repertoire to suit the particular occasion.  Here are my selections for two recent events.

International Women's Day  March 8
I enjoyed performing as part of the all girl lineup at the Tudor Artisan Hub at Carrick on Suir . My selection included The Coolin, Carolan Planxties, Edith Piaf' La Vie en Rose and Scubert's Ave Maria. It was wonderful to play with  composer and pianist Marion Ingoldsby. Marion played several of her own short pieces that reminded be of Satie's Gymnopedie. She  also played a charming piece by American composer Amy Beach











Image result for The tudor artisan Hub


St Patrick's Day. 17 March 
The beautiful Georgian Cathedral in Barronstrand Street Waterford has  a surprisingly warm acoustic  for such a large space. My selection on

Tuesday included  TC Kelly's arrangements of Irish airs  and Carolan pieces Volunme 2 as well as unaccompanied slow airs. traditional sacred air Bi Iosa im Chriosa and Céad Míle Failte and Ag Chriost and Siol by O'Riada .   As always it was a pleassure to play with cathedral organist, Cecilia Kehoe. Maith thú Cecilia!
Image result for Cathedral Barronstrand st



No comments:

Post a Comment